Sunday, October 12, 2008

Democrats and the Invisible Hand

Wealth … is like a snake; it will twist around the hand and bite unless one
knows how to use it properly. – Clement of Alexandria, “The Instructor,” 3.6.34


What if Obama is elected and the Democrats win the House and a super majority of 60 in the Senate to prevent filibuster? What might the government look like then?

The odds makers only give one chance in four for a 60 seat working majority, so we are not likely to face this prospect. If it happened, would the Democrats take the opportunity and make major changes in government?

Jimmy Carter had a 60 vote majority to work with and did little with it. Clinton never had the majority, but he was determined to disappoint in any case.

Still, I will do my small part. I'll vote for Obama although the electoral college pretty well assures it is a futile vote in Texas. I'll vote for Noriega. I'll vote for Solomon. But I know we need something bigger.

What I want from the Democrats is an escape from the profit-motive, the afan de lucre, that I believe wrecks human relations and corrupts society.

American politics suffers the grip of the invisible hand about the throat. I've several times tried to wade through Wealth of Nations and I still regard Adam Smith warmly. I do believe the Butcher, the Baker and the Brewer provide benefit to one another by acting out of self interest, but, profit, as a religion, has done a great disservice to Adam Smith. Adam Smith would be shocked by the misuse of his work today, just like Jesus would be shocked by what passes for Christianity.

I do not acknowledge that greed is the best glue to bind society.

"Don't you believe in profit?" Or, "what's wrong with making a profit?" is now the universal conversation stopper. When the war profiteer or the storm price gouger or (most recently) the CEO who has just shut down his company with a golden parachute gets caught, he says pompously, "You do believe in profit, don't you?"

My answer is "No." Profit is nothing more than unjustly withheld wages. Or over-charged clients. Or cheated vendors.

How might we escape this invisible hand? I don't think we can change human nature. But I do believe we can recognize greed for what it is. It is not a virtue; it is a sin.

4 comments:

Mas Triste said...

Prof,

You are projecting the strength of your own character onto people who do not have neither.

I too am eternally optimistic in my elected leaders and am usually dissapointed. There are one or two out there, but it is rare.

I heard someone once say, " there are no statesmen left; only politicians".

k

Anonymous said...

I understand the votes for Obama and Noriega, but why vote for Solomon? I will because he's the known quantity and will contribute to a Demo majority, but I feel short-sheeted by his representation. He's good for Corpus, but seems not to care much about anything south of Kennedy County. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else to offer. Our local politicos lack perspective and, usually, basic honesty.

So maybe I've answered the question myself. But I'd like to know your perspective.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

I heard Dennis Miller say yesterday that ALL elected officials should wear the standard NASCAR uniform so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

ml

Sara Megan said...

I know what a golden parachute is. I got it correct on my business midterm. : ) yay for me.