Saturday, October 11, 2008

Texas 45 Oklahoma 35


When I called today to see if Randall had offed himself, he told me the Texas-Oklahoma game was on.  This coincided nicely with my desire for a meal, so I walked over to the Palm Lounge.
First, the restaurant critique.  Two cheeseburgers, french fried and the jalapeno peppers are pound for pound or dollar for dollar the best meal I have found (about $10).  Ceviche at the Mariscos de las Almas Perdidas in Matamoros runs a close second, but for this review, I am not including international cuisine.  Two cheeseburgers is about half a cheeseburger too many, but one cheeseburger is too few, so I recommend getting two and then stopping at the Walgreens for the Value Size Calcium Rich Antacid Tablets Ultra Strength, Assorted Fruit for dessert.  The Coca-Cola in the can rated on color, nose and palate was undistinguished.  The abdang somewhat harsh.  However, I do not judge the cheeseburger by the Coke and next time I'll drink water or smuggle in a glass of milk.
Now to the game.  When Randall told me he was not going to commit suicide, but rather finish the game, I decided to watch the end of the game.  This was my second since 1969, but then Texas was No. 1 (after Slippery Rock, as I recall) and now was No. 5.  Oklahoma was No. 1.  I do not know the names of any of the players, but no credentials were required for admission into the Palm Lounge.
I called my Primo Jerry to see if he wanted to go, but he was not home, so I guessed I could catch him there anyway.  As you age and your friends all die, you impose on relatives more and more, even distant relatives.  Jerry was not home or so said whoever answered his phone.
Palm Lounge was full of fans, many wearing orange T-shirts and Longhorn caps, so I decided to root for my alma mater.  I recognized an old acquaintance across the bar, but did not approach him, because so few people from years past recognized me in this aged, grey, bald, fat incarnation.
I arrived in time to whoop and holler as Texas pulled ahead and then scored again.    

No comments: