Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sans teeth, Sans eyes...

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
My first reaction to the Dylan Thomas poem is, "Typical old drunk. You'll accomplish not much raging against the inevitable."

But he, at least, has a plan for aging. I haven't gotten there yet.

People will give subtle hints that you are aging. For instance, I went to a comedy show with Austin and Kate a while back and all the comedians called me "Old Dude."

I do have some aging coaches who give me some ideas on how to do this hard thing.

My mother works cross-word puzzles every day and calls me to discuss some of the hard ones. She is the determined wordsmith at 85. She is planning a 100th birthday celebration with two of her sisters. She would be the oldest if they make it. She has an aunt on each side of her family who lived past 100, so she is hopeful. She heads out most days for a long walk around tiny Romney, WV. She must be some type of town fixture by now.

My old Grandma Stapleton was reciting poetry until her last year at 88. She was formidable and aggressive, too, until the end.

My friend Dr. Kuri, also, has given me much guidance. At 82, he still works seven days a week, preparing patient histories and doing pre-employment physicals. During a cross-examination today, he defended his opinion, despite his age, by noting that he is still 6 years younger than Justice Stevens. True. John Paul Stevens was born April 20, 1920 and turns 88 this month. He remains active on the Court and if he can last three more years he will pass Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. to take the record. Dr. Kuri could also have noted he is still 9 years younger than Holmes was when he was still writing Supreme Court Decisions. (Stevens authored Atkins v. Virginia, the case I discussed yesterday, that banned execution of the retarded.)

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I used to worry about not having saved any money for retirement. It was Dr. Kuri who let me off the hook on that one and told me I could not retire anyway, because I would deteriorate much too rapidly.

The worst thing about longevity: you outlive all your friends. I watched as my Grandma Stapleton's last friends and relatives died. She would watch the obituaries closely. There was a sense of triumph that she had outlasted another one, but also the sad realization that she was being left more and more alone.

Normal changes with aging. Dr. Kuri notes about teeth: it is not normal to be toothless at thirty. It is normal at 90.

I find that I am not always sure whether something is wrong or it is just a little aging. I was having a little trouble with my knees getting up and down stairs recently. I thought, "Whoops, aging." Then it get better and went away. I think I had too much incline on the treadmill during my once-monthly attempt at exercise.

One option is to try not to age. You know, comb overs, prematurely orange hair.

Another is to accept the course as the poet describes it:

And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well sav'd, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything." — Jaques (Act II, Scene VII, lines 139-166)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy and I went to Christian retreats years ago where much time was spent on agapé, one of the Greek terms for love which the group had adopted as a prime theme.

In the last few years as the signs of aging have become more and more undeniable, it's been a running joke with us that I'm looking forward to my agapé time, punning on agape, as that is what you see on the faces of some of the aged in their last years--staring off into space, withdrawn to a space and time to which we do not have privilege.

More seriously, over the last month, I had to go to Indiana to say good bye to my father and sat and played guitar for him for several days and then return with Kathy two weeks later for his funeral.

He did not go gentle into that good night. Rather, he had to fight to go. He refused treatment. He refused food. He refused medication in the last few days and went through what I suspect were several kinds of hell with a hospital induced infection that caused his right arm to swell to Popeye size and the accumulation of phlegm in his lungs that became more and more difficult to expel.

But he was ready to go. At one point he and Mom were at loggerheads over what his treatment plan would be, so I asked him directly: what is your goal?

He said it was to die. He'd lived eighty-three years, his children were doing well and he was proud of them, his wife was secure in her income and property, and he was ready.

What are we boomerlings to make of this, the approach of aging and eventual death? We'll be different, I suppose. My father-in-law looked at the signs at eighty-two and found solution with a very large pistol. I've got a poem about swimming out to sea when I hear the call. And, of course, we know we won't know what we'll do until we get there.

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Nice comment. Thank you.