Sunday, April 6, 2008

Saint Peter Don't You Call Me, 'Cause I Can't Go....I Owe My Soul to the Company Store

Big Bill Haywood, in his Autobiography, rejects labor contracts. He tells the United Mine Workers in Cripple Creek, "why enter into an agreement with the mining companies at all--that is a time agreement? Why not be in a position to strike at any time?"

I labored through six hours of contract law in law school and never really thought about the underlying premise of the morality of entering into contracts. In essence, most types of contracts involve a promise to do something in the future. Even putting aside for the moment the problems with adhesion contracts, what about the mere idea of making a promise that binds future actions. Isn't there a problem with this?

Jesus said to to the young man, "If you want to be perfect, sell what you own. Give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then follow me!"

If he is bound by contracts, the young man must say, "Sorry, Jesus, I can't go. I've got a mortgage to pay, credit card bills to meet, and a six month employment contract to fulfill."

And this may have been what happened because when the young man heard this, he went away sad because he owned a lot of property.

If we enter a contract or promise to behave in a certain way in the future, does this break Jesus' rules of life laid out in the Sermon on the Mount? Jesus says (in one translation), "But I tell you don't swear an oath at all. " Other translations talk about "forswearing" oneself.

What is the difference between an oath that forswears a promise for the future and a contract? Maybe the first has some greater implied seriousness, because it is witnessed by God, but the concept of, in the present, committing your future self to a certain type of action, seems to be the same.

Isn't Jesus giving added support to this position when He says, "So don't ever worry about tomorrow. After all, tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own?"

Contracts always require a worry about tomorrow. That is the whole idea.

And of course, beyond a calling from Jesus, in a more secular context, there may also be a call to the conscience.

For instance we might say,

"I woke up this morning with a clear belief that the rest of my life should be committed to designing and building low cost housing. Anything else would be a waste of my full potential and doing so would be my best chance to reduce human suffering."

Or,

"The muse has moved me and see in my minds eye the Great American Novel that will bring joy to millions and guidance to a nation lost in the wilderness."

Or,

"My young daughter has informed me she is growing up without me and I must stop all I am doing and spend time with her."

But then we remember all of the contracts we have signed and must say,

"No wait. I've forgotten. I need to pay off my Sears charge card first. And the consumer contract on the house siding. And the five year loan on the car. Oh, well. I will stuff away for now this call to conscience thing and this foolishness about living life to my highest potential. Maybe another inspiration will be along in another ten years."

6 comments:

BobbyWC said...

"Oh, well. I will stuff away for now this call to conscience thing and this foolishness about living life to my highest potential. Maybe another inspiration will be along in another ten years."

This is what society socializes us to do. This keeps us chasing our own tails. Life is about choices -we can make the choice to be enslaved by competition or we can liberate ourselves or we can spend teh day at the clothing optional beach.

My point being - go for your conscience and stop putting off life until you fulfull yet another contract.

Anonymous said...

I'm just finishing Tuesdays with Morrie. Morrie was a seize the day guy, too, but I don't recall his comments on contracts except the implied contracts one has with one's self. Sometimes those are tough ones to keep up with, too.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

Kinda long story but does fit in to this post.

Six short weeks ago I found myself at St. Paul Outside the Walls Basilica in Rome. I'm not going to say that it wasn't divine intervention that led me there but none the less, there I was.

The Apostle Paul has always been a favorite of mine probably because I'm a gentile. Coincidently, the only history or education I ever had of the world outside of downriver Detroit was watching Archie Bunker deliver his sense of wisdom on family TV night in the 70's. Anyway, there I was, the Nicene Creed long forgotten, in one of the holiest places that within the church.

The actual sarcophagus and shrine lie below the alter and is cordoned off to the general public. A group of Serbian Orthodox Bishops, Priests, and Lay-persons were assembled down into the shrine area obviously on pilgrimage and certainly scheduled in, because of the great demand to be in that particular shrine. Tourists came and went but I stayed in awe.

A marble railing where one could kneel and look down into the small rotunda was the only vantage point I had. Overcome by emotion and the overwhelming beauty of the ceremony by the Serbian pilgrims, I managed to kneel for the whole program.

A lot of things processed through my mind during that time on my knees. I envied those folks who were able to have their once in a lifetime chance to be with their Patron Saint Paul.

When the ceremony ended, the lead Orthodox Bishop whispered to the Basilica Security and moments later I was led to the tomb.

That they would even care to give me an opportunity was such a blessing to me. Although we couldn't communicate verbally, the gestures of all of us were just as well as any words ever spoken.

The Ugly American...

.....A few days later I'm boarding a train to Venice. In a hurry, I care nothing about anyone but my own comfort.

....to be continued

StapletonAndStapleton said...

So, anyway, what happened in Venice?

Anonymous said...

...Sorry for the interruption, I had to go out of town.

Anyway, I prepaid a eu-rail reservation to Venice for confirmed seats for my sweetie and I. A young man in his 20's and his mom and pop also had a reservation, and one of their seat assignments was the same as mine.

I immediately challenged the whole family. Belligerent, I made my point and they humbly and graciously backed off. They didn't speak any english.

My sweetheart was angry with the way I acted and offered up her seat. She asked them in English and then in Spainish. The young man lit up and smiled because he could speak spanish and communication was established.

She told them I was an arrogant *%^$#@, and he said that he understood Americans could act like that from time to time.

He also told us that he and his family were returning from their Roman Pilgrimage and were on their way back home to Kosovo. The rest of the Serbian Orthodox Clergy had stayed an additional few days.

He and his mom and dad had a sense of peace and comfort and never reacted to my obtrusiveness.

He further went on to say how his country has been torn apart and fought over for centuries.

We talked for the duration of the six hour journey, whereas I would vacation in Venice, and my new friend would continue to rebuild his community and live in constant reminder, that his religious beliefs could also hasten his death sentence.

As for ownership of souls, the company store would most likely be the reigning party in any part of this world.

I was fortunate enough to see that people can actually transcend the whole economic, sociopolitical, religious infighting this world has to offer.

In the meantime, I've reconsidered the Nicene Creed and even have fond memories of Sacred Heart Seminary back in my hometown.

Maybe it's midlife crisis, but I sure would like a little bit of peace and serenity that my Serbian friend was blessed with.

ML

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Many thanks ML.