Sunday, April 6, 2008

Communist Cuba Dabbling in Distributism

Bloggers (the few I have met and as best I can tell from reading) seem endlessly fascinated by whether and if so, how much, their blog is being read. I confess this fault. I put one of the free counters on the blog and it is something of a utilometer of my personal happiness. Each little tick of the counter is another little squirt of dopamine.

More sophisticated bloggers apparently have more sophisticated counters and get additional squirts from learning how widely read they are, based on area codes I guess.

I know this all runs counter to my blogging goal as taken from the Granddaddy of All Bloggers:
"I have no thought of serving either you or my own glory. My powers are inadequate for such a purpose. I have dedicated it to the private convenience of my relatives and friends, so that when they have lost me (as soon they must), they may recover here some features of my habits and temperament. Thus reader...you would be unreasonable to spend your leisure on so frivoulous and vain pursuit."
Indulge my pride, though as a tell you based on certain empirical evidence I have a celebrity reader. It was only Friday past when I urged an economic system based on medieval Catholicism, distributism. Two days later, I see the headlines, "Cuba to Lend Land--In a bid to boost agricultural production, Raul Castro's government is lending Cuba's unused land to private farmers and cooperatives."

It is obvious to me: Raul Castro has been reading my blog. Not only that, I have converted him to distributism. Let me say it again: RAUL CASTRO IS ONE OF MY READERS!!!!

Now it is important I carefully cultivate this first new convert to distributism. First, how to address him? We distributists are anti-hierarchical and I hardly think either Mr. President or General Castro are appropriate.

Nor can I bring myself to say, "Comrade." First, I don't know if this will be part of the distributist tradition. I have not seen the word yet in Chesterton or Hilloc. Also, since we have not met, this may overly familiar. On the other hand, "Raul" or even "Raulito" feels OK, for some reason. Maybe because of that guy who sells the eye surgery on TV.

I am so happy to have you on board, Raulito, that I will happily serve as consultant. To that end, I will be reading medieval Church history and economic and legal forms. More to the point, though, Raulito, I would suggest we approach an appropriate order to come in and help run things. I suggest we avoid the more warlike groups like the Hospitallers of Jerusalem in favor of say, Franciscans or Cistercians.

Now that I know you (Raulito) are a reader, I'll give little hints along the way.

This transition from Cuban Communism to distributism should in some ways be quite smooth, because there are not big landowners with whom we must deal. On the other hand the human rights issues have been a problem in Cuba since they were reported by Bartolome de las Casas, but, hey, human rights is the whole idea behind distributism.

Now if only George W. will start reading.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wall Street Journal, Economist...

Xtra, Xtra, read all about it...

Sign me up

ML

Anonymous said...

The more I read, the more I am convinced you are in need of serious psychological help.

Mas Triste said...

Ed,

Glad to see my sideswipe left a noticible dent.

K

StapletonAndStapleton said...

I was in need of serious psychological help long before your sideswipe.

However, your swipe may have had a physical impact. I understand there is a crease and blue paint down one side of my head. It is outside of my view with a mirror, but I have had a few favorable comments.

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Also, Mr. K,

This motive to excel you describe leaves me a little cold.

It rings a lot like that old "afan de lucre."

Thank you, though, for the discussion.

Yours in mediocrity,

Ed

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

Congrats on your reader, El Raulito! One more and you tie Mr. McHale who lost you as a reader when you created your blog, thus, reducing his readership to two or so he claims. ;)

I am in a good mood tonight. No, seriously, congrats!

v

Mas Triste said...

Ed,

The motive to excel is inherent human nature. You cannot fight our internal need to be our best.

We all have it, but only a percentage really have it aimed toward something that benefits the whole. The sense of fairness you describe runs contrary to this rule.

The ethics of fairness are a challenging issue and that is really what we are talking about.

Suppose you had two people, one who has the aptitude to become a doctor and the other has the aptitude to be a good welder.

How would you distribute scholarship funding for these two people if you had $100,000?

Is 50/50 the "fairest" or the 90/10split that you know is likely to be the best decision?

Your answer will subjectively define a sense of fairness.

Kurgan

I do enjoy reading you writings by the way. Good discussions.