Tuesday, March 25, 2008

If this is the way Queen Victoria treats her prisoners, she doesn't deserve to have any.

Today I received a letter signed by 21 women who are inmates in the Cameron County Jail. I won't include their names because I don't know the status of their cases or whether there is a risk of retaliation.

Please remember these women have usually not been convicted of the crimes they are accused of committing. If they are convicted, they will be moved to a prison. Some may have never committed any crime at all. The following are excerpts with spelling and grammar as I received it:

"To start here in this Jail all the guards are nice persons. I think is not there fault about what's going on in this Jail is the fault of the County the one that is responsable for it. The food is so bad, sometimes it comes with hairs, with nats the water too. About the toilet paper we still having hard time with it one day thay had us with two brown paper napkins for each inmate. Now that Mrs. Gail Hanson has been banned out from this jail like we don't have nobody that we can tell about what we are passing through all weekend and other day we havent no toilet paper if we need they just give us a piece but in the cell we don't have none.

"...About the medical ...other girls they wait they cry of pain or about their physical problems. And the stuff take their time, while the inmate is hurting.

"I was like...bleeding of my surgery and they would give me hydrocarbonate water to clean the cut that was infected. They didn't took me to the doctor until the Consul of Mexico call them.

"Some of the inmates have the mattess torn and the blankets are torn.

"Commisary takes advantage of all the Inmates by selling the items on a very very high price. Somthings comes expire. They do it because they know we don't have other choice.

"The indigent package is toothpaste, a bar of soap and a toothbrush. When they should provide at least one stamp, envelope, one piece of paper and one pen so can the families be notify not everybondy takes collect calls and they should start selling phone cards.

"Recreation should be at least 3 times a week and not always they do that we could one week without getting rec. and that's unfair."


Is this true? In my experience, inmates tend to be more straight forward than people in the free world, just because there are few pretensions left. I think inmates tend to suffer silently. As our founding document says, it is a self-evident truth that 'mankind is more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.' Since these women don't have much chance to abolish the jail, they will be even more disposed to suffer according the self-evident truth of the Declaration of Independence.

Inmates often become stoics, perhaps not in philosophy, but certainly in practice. I have seen inmates suffering from swollen jaws, bad insect bites and dislocated shoulders not even mention the problem. Until I ask about it.

When inmates begin to risk complaints, the conditions have often pushed the boiling point--something else Cameron County has seen.

I have been listening to inmate complaints for over 30 years and I know that there are explanations for mistreatment. I had a client who ate light bulbs. Another who set her mattress on fire. And others who made a regular habit of stuffing up toilets and causing floods.

I don't know if Cameron County jailers were faced with these types of problems, but I know that jailers reach decisions to deprive the inmates based on violations of jail rules. Sometimes jails run out of supplies, which may be the case with toilet paper here.

Part of the problem is sometimes everyone gets punished if the jail administrators can't figure out who is causing the problem. This creates moral and ethical problems. There is a specific provision in the Geneva Conventions that prohibits group punishment.

If it is true that the inmates go a week without recreation, that is a violation of the Jail Standards Commission:

Each facility shall have and implement a written plan, approved by the Commission, for inmate physical exercise and physical recreation. Documentation of physical exercise and physical recreation shall be maintained for Commission review. Each inmate shall be allowed one hour of supervised physical exercise or physical recreation at least three days per week. (Click on the title for reference to the Texas Jail Standards).
Part of the problem is sometimes neither inmates nor jailers know what conditions should be expected under the jail standards. The inmates don't know to ask for them and the jailers don't know what they should be providing.

The commissary is a different type of problem. One of the Democratic candidates for sheriff attempted to make an issue of giving a private contract on the commissary. I was glad he raised the issue, but doubted it would help him much in the campaign.

A private, profit motive for a captive market is not free enterprise. I don't know what the prices are, but there is no reason prices won't be extortionate because there is no competition. Why not give this contract to the Big Brothers, Sierra Club or the Kiwanians or the Hanna High band? Any nonprofit is better than a private, profit making group. Contracting out the courthouse restaurant is different from the jail commissary, because in the courthouse, if prices are too high or the food is old, people can go somewhere else.

Security is also often a problem. The women's jail does not report complaints of being controlled by prison gangs, but I have heard these complaints from Carrizales-Rucker.

The most disturbing thing about the letter remains the complaint that a jail minister is being excluded for fielding complaints. This creates problems both for the Free Exercise of Religion and for shining a light on the nature of the problem. If no one can report on what goes on in a jail, it becomes a dungeon.

13 comments:

Truth Seeker said...

What can we do to help?

BobbyWC said...

This is where I am confused - well one place where I am confused- so they have banned one person - is there not a jail chaplain or other type man or women of the clothe allowed to minister to these women? and if so why are they not reporting on the problems.

I really like turning the food and items sales over to a charity - remember the county makes money on the sale of pens and paper - without that money they theoretically will turn to the taxpayer - be careful what you ask for - you may get it in higher taxes.

But please toilet paper (this is sad - to think I would kill if you took away my cottonelles) ) - let them use the Herald like the rest of us.

I do not know the truth - but I am most concerned that whomever is ministering to these women has chosen to not report on the conditions within the jail.

They need to come forward and deny the conditions or denounce them - or relinguish their collar.

StapletonAndStapleton said...

I have been thinking about this. I am working with Pax Christi on this and other issues.

Pax Christi held a community forum with the candidates that I think was a good beginning.

Rio Grande Valley National Lawyers Guild has also been meeting to discuss an appropriate lawsuit. I'll post the next scheduled meeting. This meeting is not limited to lawyers.

I'll try to develop a suggested plan of what may be effective and publish it as a post. Law suits, public consciousness, organization of jailers, organization of inmate families are some of my early thoughts.

Pax Christ also plans a meeting to address Cameron County death penalty issues on April 28.

Thank you for your concern.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

Although I'm not authorized to speak on behalf of the Sheriff's Office, I do believe in the people we have working for us and I will take all responsibility for the actions and procedures of day-to-day operations.

Many factors contribute to the placement and classification of inmates. The State of Texas uses a cookie-cutter method of classification (TCJS) and is razor sharp should you deviate from their mandates.

Often, politics and MHMR's soup du jour policy dictate the latest legislative ideas brought on by someone completely foreign to our culture.

We know how to fix {our} problems.

Unfortunately, the state, in their infinite wisdom, regulate and control the situations that create our present situation.

Are we compelled to serve two masters, the State and public opinion? Of course, and we will, according to the means and ways afforded us.

Simply responding to this post will put me at peril to ever publicly discussing such a "sensitive" security issue.

In the meantime, I was really enjoying the the road taken each day and the next parable.

Unfortunately, I must get back to work and lay aside participation in this dialogue (as ML.) I will address all inquiries and answer all calls in my official capacity .

Respectfully,
Mike Leinart, Jailer
554-6700

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Dear Mr. Leinart,

Thank you for your comment. I hope you can return either officially or unofficially, because I feel your input has been invaluable in this discussion. No one is closer to these issues than you are in Cameron County.

I agree the problems must be addressed at a statewide level as well. I also agree this discussion needs to be expanded to include MHMR and dumping of mentally ill and mentally retarded in the jail.

My next post has a list of suggestions for improvement. I hope you can still comment.

Unknown said...

I find that the most admirable thing for anyone to do is take responsibility. ML, thank you for doing so and publishing your number for folks to contact you. We both know that such allegations aren't new.

Yes, the TCJS is strict. I've seen that first-hand. However, the treatment of inmates is not a state, but local, in-house issue.

What's being done to address these issues that seem to repeatedly arise?

The Merovingian said...

What's being done to address these issues that seem to repeatedly arise?

It is the county commission's fault. I know because I heard that first hand, second row, from Omar Lucio at one of the Good Government League debates at the Brownsville Public Library. It must be true, because he is the elected sheriff. ;)

M.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

These women go to the heart of what we discussed on my blog. Is there any real truth to their situation or not? I believe there is, yet during this past primary election the media reported all of the utopian living-situation at Sheriff Omar Lucio's jail. I do not always buy into the black and white debate but for this, I am inclined to say there is no grey.

V

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Yes, Mr. V,

It was our discussion that fermented into this brew.

Ed

Unknown said...

...during this past primary election the media reported all of the utopian living-situation at Sheriff Omar Lucio's jail.

RGV,

As I attempted to post a few days ago on your blog, but my comment didn't go through -- it happens.

Emma Perez-Trevino wrote a series of articles right before election on the alleged treatment of the female inmates. She interviewed Gail Hanson and the Texas Jail Project -- both very vocal about the alleged poor conditions of the jails. Emma even interviewed Hanson on Brownsville 2020.

I believe you need to research this issue before you decided to make such blanked comments.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Zamora,

I never got your comments. Hell, I have not gotten any comments in a week it seems from anyone. What is going on?

I did read the work in The Herald. What I was referring to was the "come in to the jail and see for yourself" articles in print and television. The Sheriff just blew off the Texas Jail Project as a bunch of loons who do not know the facts.

I being the conspirator, or whatever that anon said, that I am believe they do know the facts and that is what scares the likes of the Sheriff and his cronies. The series you speak of made me wonder if the "come in and see" was just a political too used by the incumbent to curry favor from the electorate to think, "you see he is doing a good job" and pat him on the back. They did without a run-off.

As to your points, Mr. Stapleton, I am glad to see some positive coming out of my blog. Maybe now readers will not think I am purely angry and a drunk. Instead think of me as a harmless loveable...drunk!

Maybe I should join that VH1 show on rehab.

V

StapletonAndStapleton said...

I am not familiar with the show on rehab, but I think rehab is a nice juxtaposition to a jail theme.

Rehab is often a good option to prison for people who have the means. Now, if only more people had the means.

Anonymous said...

I know for a fact what the women are telling is the truth. You may joke about no toilet paper, but how would you feel if you were given counted out squares and said that was your max for the day. There is no Herald to use. The commissary is a blatant slap in the face as well. Already the women have no money but you can get stale ramen for only 80 cents or so a package when they are 10 cents at Globo. Sure the women are not there for being stellar, but to gouge them while they are down does not seem fair, or legal. Inmates must turn in their complaints to the guards who then in turn must turn them in to the sheriff who said no one has turned in a complaint this year. They were file 13'd. Nobody ever sees them. Just like the inmates never see the stamps sent to them from their family or friends. The guards pocket them. I saw my own stamps disappear in this manner. Sure I was not in jail for being a saint, but I did not deserve the little happiness I could have gotten from those stamps stolen by a guard who had a job and an income, albeit meager. No one can report these issues because the signed letters never make it out, the one chaplain who fights for the girls to be treated humanely gets banned and when the TV cameras come around, the inmates have been forced to polish those old bars to a gleaming superficial shine. How fake. They should have been wearing floral headbands and skipping around a maypole the way they made it look for the news crews. Then once the crews were gone, it went right back to food with hairs in it, counted out squares of toilet paper and no basic necessities. Sure people say, "Well, it needs to suck so they won't go back." The point is this county's jail is so below the level of suck, it is a quagmire of sewage. What about the staph that runs so rampant in there and the quarter-sized boils that were spreading like wildfire when I was in there? What about the lack of medical attention given to the jailed mothers and sisters and daughters of Brownsville? Sure they should learn not to go to jail and the conditions should teach 'em, but to miscarry a baby because of the deplorable medical care? Does that teach them not to go to jail? Many women were in there for not paying fines or tickets. Lose a baby for being broke. What a lesson. How many men go to jail for not paying child support? Then they lose their jobs for being in jail and no debt is taken off for time served. It is called dead time. When the men get out they owe just as much as before plus the amount accrued while in jail. Makes sense to me.
The only good thing is that people want to help now that this issue has come to light. Maybe when people stop getting banned from trying to help, we can actually get supplies in there like books and toilet paper and stamps and an envelope. You know, luxuries, that criminals should not be able to get but just maybe out of the kindness of people's hearts could have. Maybe 5 extra squares of toilet paper as a belated Easter present. I am collecting boxes of crayons for the girls in a little red wagon but am scared to bring it around the jail, for a guard might take it home for their kid and I would have to watch this happen to me again.