Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Anyone Else Want to Run for City Commission?

I don't know this guy, Carlos Cisneros, but it sounds like it is time for another stoning. Let's see, he had inaccurate time records in a job that does not require time records. OK, let's just go ahead and kill him and then we'll all feel better.

Someone followed him around for a month and took clandestine videos so they could show him without a shirt in his own front yard. Then with exemplary good judgment and respect for privacy, channel five "investigation" takes the stalker's video, accepts the allegations about when it was taken-from an anonymous contributor-and plays it for all the world to see. All to prove that the time records did not match the times recorded on the video of a skulker for a salaried job does not require time records.

Who is this that can lie in hiding for a month? He's the one that needs a job or least a better hobby. Golfing or drag-racing or mainlining heroin would all be a step up.

Maybe, if the creeping photographer could get a shot through Carlos' bedroom window, he could prove the date and time on Carlos' own clock.

It would seem we should be able to go into the front yard without dressing for a night on the town. A good neighbor will avert his eyes.

But picking up the paper without a shirt on? Surely, this is a God-given right. I don't know anything about journalistic ethics. Is there such a thing? But it just doesn't seem right. Doesn't this show this guy in a false light? If the price of holding a little non-paying city public position is that would I have my picture taken without a shirt, I wouldn't do it--nor should society have to pay the price.

Anyway, whatever Carlos Cisneros wants to run for, I'll vote for him. As I say, I don't know anything about the man, but right now I wouldn't care if he had kidnapped the Lindbergh baby. This is a wrong that cries out for some kind of balance in the universe.

May I suggest Channel 5 start videotaping the numbers in the stalls in public restrooms. "For a good time call ......" Now that would contribute to Mill's Market of Ideas.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

You are so right! Mr. Cisneros was wronged and KRGV played a huge part. This is the type of stuff that terrifies me and why I am fearful of bias and unprofessional journalism.

I have yet to mention this on my site because it is the type of obvious bias I do need to point to. It's just too darn easy. The slight bias as in photos and other forms of character assasination that troubles me especially in such a small and monopolized market.

But you are so right, so so right!

RGV

BobbyWC said...

The handling of this story was cheap - very cheap - but if in fact at the end of the day it can be shown for sure that he was somewhere other than work for an entire day, while his card showed him at work - should there not be an investigation. This does not change the fact the story as handled was two-bit yellow journalism at its best.

I am more concerned with the story behind the story. If Chris Valadez was behind the investigation and Cascos knew about it, then I am really concerned with this type conduct coming from our County Commission. If Woods and Cascos cannot get along, they need to go out back and have it out with one another and not use their employees as pawns.

Anonymous said...

Mr. BWC,

Pawns? I think of them as knights!
Just kidding.

Two to one on Cascos? Any bidders?

RGV

Anonymous said...

When you aim low, you aim real low!

Juan O'Leary

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed by your perspicacity, Ed. This is the third or fourth entry I've read and appreciate your insight and courage and sense of humor, a quality sometimes lacking in these parts.
stan

StapletonAndStapleton said...

Many thanks, stan.

Truth Seeker said...

Rio Grande, my money's on Valadez/Ahumada. The coconut telegraph is buzzing with stories of Mayor Pat telling anyone who would listen that CC was going down, and this was long before the story aired.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Truth,

Unless it is a battle royal, then Valadez/Ahumada are not included. It is a match between Woods and Cascos. Now if you are talking lumberjack match and you agree that Valadez and Ahumada are best of buds then I could see you being corrent. But I did say cascos two to one. Your money is in the winning side. Not necessarily the better side though.

By the way, my name derives from the movie "V for Vendeta" so please include the V in my name or just RGV. I may just have to start signing my name as just V. Nah! I like RGV

RGV

Anonymous said...

False light? no. Cheap. No. Channel 5 is a television station- that is the medium. What the guy was doing was in the public domain. He is a city commissioner that was allegedly doing personal things on county time. Sure it was probably politically motivated but it is what it is. Now we've got all this bitching about how the time stamp might have been fabricated, but everyone saw cisnero's and wood's execuses. They never could quite deny it. As far as verifying the time\date stamp, really how are they supposed to do that? Everybody had their chance to respond. Quit crying and be grateful that dirty politicians are turning on each other. After all how else would we get the news. The Herald? Shit, they are still stuck in Austin reporting on post SXSW parties for Del Castillo.