Sunday, July 6, 2008

Downtown Brownsville Without Cars

As I drove down Elizabeth Street this morning, I passed a man, about my age, driving his motorized wheel chair in the other direction.  He was holding a red and white umbrella to shelter him from a light rain.

Motorized wheelchairs are common in front of our house as well.  I assume many originate from the high rise nursing home I see through the cane out my window behind the computer screen.  Most are decorated with flags and bumper stickers.

Also, the HEB carts are common and I now from time to time add the adult tricycle to the mix.  We have always had a lot of people walking in groups or alone.  Cars seem to be increasingly rare as gas prices soar.  I can still afford to drive, but I don't think most of my neighbors really can.  Liability insurance costs have long since priced many Brownsville drivers out of the range of driving legally.  Now $4.00 a gallon gas is finishing this group off as well.  If it hits $6.00 by the end of the year as has been predicted I bet people start selling their cars.

Why not, City Fathers, just make this the way of life in downtown Brownsville.  I propose taking a rectangle from Fronton to Tyler, East 14th to Palm and closing it to private automobiles and most trucks.  If we are really bold, we can extend it to include UT Brownsville as well.

I suppose there would need to be a way for freight to be moved in and out so the merchants could get the ropa usada, Chinese knickknacks and  sacks of pinto beans in and out, but we can still make the whole area safe for motorized wheelchairs, HEB carts, walkers and bicyclers.  It works in other cities.

We would need some public transportation, of course.  Buses or trams or a train or a horse or mule drawn carriage or gondolas, to get to the edge of the rectangle.  Parking would need to be available somewhere outside the triangle.

Maybe certain merchants and craftsmen would get a boost.  The complaint about shopping in downtown Brownsville is there is no place to park.  Without cars, the streets that are too crowded for the cars would be abundantly adequate for the pedestrians and bicyclists.

Maybe it could be like a San Antonio Riverwalk, just not as stretched out.  My favorite European city has always been Venice.  I just now realize why:  no cars.  

6 comments:

Mas Triste said...

Sir,

That is actually a very good idea.

Finance the 6 story parking garage. Reroute traffic at Gateway and B&M to go one way around the area.

Very good idea.

K

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the extent to which you would like to have this done is realistic, but I do think a lot of us want some no-vehicle zone to be considered I think it should be concentrated as a smaller downtown business strip with a couple of 2-3 story parking garages. I believe McAllen just invested on a downtown public garage (of course).

Perhaps as the Imagine Brownsville folks consider parking options for downtown, they can also consider the effect of a no-vehicle zone on downtown business.

Patricia A.

Mas Triste said...

Patricia,

I doesn't even have to be permanent. If the vendors tell you that the foot traffic business is only on weekeds, you can erect the temporary barriers like they do in NYC or in the French Quarter in New Orleans.

Brownsvlle seems to be search for an identity and mae thgis is a start?

K

BobbyWC said...

The West End in Dallas is a no car zone - it is smaller than what is being proposed here- but it works. They did add a large multilevel parking lot which was rather inexpensive - free if you were going to the movies. I've always said that parking lot across from what his now Ross needs to be made into a multistory parking lot.

They probably need to incorporate a large no parking area into the design of downtown if this river walk area becomes reality.

I am actually waiting to see what happens because I have two friends willing to invest in a piano bar with me if the river walk becomes reality. Right now without parking downtown such a project is just a waste of money.

Ed - thanks for the Bewitch comment - same goes for gay men who faced the death penalty if caught - but I think the Bewitched cartoon brought the point home very nicely

Bobby WC

Anonymous said...

Was not something similar to this proposed to the city commission some years ago? A "zona peatonal" a la Matamoros was envisioned as I recall, but it was poo-pooed by the city commissioners.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

When the inevitable strikes upon us, and the questions arise how could this happen in our community, it's more than likely too late.

We shift priorities quicker than soapbox or next weeks chisme.

Will Rothgery wait till june-teenth?

M.leinart