Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tricycling Brownsville

So Jeff now daily rides his bicycle to the federal courthouse and parks under the awning while he presides for the Brownsville division over the defense of the huddled masses yearning to breath free. Anyway, with the usual dollop of mimetic desire, I too wanted to ride a bicycle to the courthouse.

Kathy, though, insisted that I could not walk without falling so the risk of a bicycle was too great for the meager amount of life insurance I had purchased. Because I suspected I was unable to qualify for more life insurance, we compromised on the adult tricycle. As it happens, Jeff had purchased the tricycle for his suegro who it seems is even more feeble than I am and he had only been able to ride it once.

Kathy and I headed for the island in Sara's truck, fighting all the way. My daughters thought it was fine if I rode a tricycle, but only if I wore a disguise, so no one would recognize me as their father--Groucho nose, glasses and mustache.

On the way back, somewhere along the way, the flag, you know, orange on a tall fiberglass pole, blew away.

Back on the ground in Brownsville, I raised the seat and tightened things up. Kathy insisted I ride around in the parking lot behind the house some before I ventured out. I also dug up an old bicycle cable with a lock on in that belongs to some long since stolen bicycle. I did fine in the parking lot so I ventured out into the larger world, humming the tune from Indiana Jones.

The first problem is car driving in downtown Brownsville is a blood sport and there are extra points for bicyclists. There was no way I could go on the busy streets. The next problem is that tricycles are wider than bicycles and it takes some calculation to make sure I didn't get stuck on a curb.

I soon discovered 8th Street, low traffic and a nice parking area halfway between the state and federal courthouses: a light pole perfect for locking up an adult tricycle. There wasn't a lot of other traffic.

This particular adult tricycle has a basket of a perfect size for my old beat-up leather briefcase.

However, there is the problem of sunburning the top of my bald pate. My usual straw fedora won't stay on with the blazing speed of an adult tricycle. I dug a gimme cap out of the closet that says "Relax" on the front and it seems to work.

The neighborhood kids are also out on their bikes and when I drive by they come out and join me for a couple of blocks. A half a dozen kids on bikes, one pulling another in a sort of bike trailer filled with yet another kid, cruising the wrong way down 8th street. It may appear to be an odd gathering, but outside of inmates, it has become the larger part of my contact with the world.

Jeff tells me this is a good green thing to do, but then he is much more hopeful about life. I just keep thinking how much money I could save if I could raise enough money to be able to afford to sell the car.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would do anything to be able to live near downtown.
if i could walk to work,
i think that i'd be the happiest guy in Brownsville.

i've said this before to many of my friends and they think i'm crazy.
"how could you go to court all sweaty?"
i know my grandfather did it.
i know i can too.

Anonymous said...

there are a couple of offices close to Downtown, we could do it like the Chinese, Japanese and all the Orientals from San Francisco and IMPROVISE BY BUILDING A TOP FLOOR & live on top have your business in the bottom and walk to the courthouse (sweaty or not who is going to be close enought to smell you)?????

Anonymous said...

Do you wear a helmet while riding your girl's trike at such break neck speeds? I think a German type with the spike on top would be appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stapleton,

Two and a half weeks and nada. Is everything okay?

Roman

Anonymous said...

Ed
Loved your story. I bought my first bicycle two weeks ago (inspired by Jeff) with the idea of going to work. But the wind and the five miles difference have been hampering my wish to save on gas. I think a trycicle sounds better and my bycicle may soon end up as a trade-in. Saludos,
Andy

Dan S. Boyd said...

Hey, are you dead? Write!